Check out our delicious Okonomiyaki recipe – easy, vegan + gluten-free! You’ll love this savory delight hot off the grill, or stored for easy meal prep.
- 10 ounces / 285 grams shredded cabbage (either green or red cabbage works well)
- 4 ounces / 140 grams shredded carrots
- 3 green onions, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (we use all-purpose gluten-free 1-for-1 flour)
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons white miso paste
- Avocado oil or olive oil cooking spray
- Place cabbage, carrots, green onions, ground flax seeds, sesame seeds, minced garlic and ginger, salt and pepper into a large bowl, mix well to combine.
- Add flour, water, and miso paste to a small bowl, whisk well to combine and remove lumps.
- Pour batter into cabbage mixture and stir well to combine.
- Spray a skillet with cooking oil, then place the skillet over medium heat.]
- Once the skillet is hot, add half of the Okonomiyaki batter and flatten out to fill the bottom of the pan.
- Cook until golden brown, around 6 to 8 minutes.
- Flip and cook the other side until its also golden brown. Keep warm while cooking the other half of the batter.
- Garnish the okonomiyaki with your toppings of choice. We like a drizzle of vegan mayonnaise and BBQ sauce, plus green onions, sesame seeds, and vegan Furikake.
- If needed you can freeze the cooked okonomiyaki in a sealed container or reusable bag and then store frozen for up to a month. When you’re ready to eat, warm it in the microwave until thawed, but still cool. Then, finish it off in a skillet for maximum flavor!
- Nutritional information is to be used as a guide only as calories and nutrition vary between products and brands worldwide.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 to 16 minutes
Keywords: vegan okonomiyaki, okonomiyaki recipe, gluten-free vegan okonomiyaki