A luscious vegan chocolate cake that is also gluten-free. Enjoy it with fruit, coconut cream, frosting, or anything else you can imagine!
- Cooking oil spray
- 1 flax egg (made using 1 tablespoon of finely ground flax seeds and 3 tablespoons of water)
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup organic raw sugar*
- 1/2 cup Truvia (stevia blended with cane sugar)*
- 1/3 cup vegan dark chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons (1.5oz / 42.5grams) vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups of fresh berries
- Dusting of powdered sugar or cacao powder (optional)
- Preheat over to 350F / 175C. Spray a 9 inch / 23cm round baking pan with cooking oil (alternatively line with parchment paper).
- Prepare flax egg by mixing together finely ground flax seeds with three tablespoons of water. Allow to thicken for five minutes.
- Add gluten free flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl, whisk to combine.
- Combine water and organic raw sugar, Truvia/sugar alternative into a medium pot over high heat. Bring to a boil and stir until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat, stir in vegan dark chocolate chips and vegan butter, allow to melt for around 10 to 15 minutes.
- Pour chocolate mixture into the dry ingredients, whisk until well combined. Whisk in flax egg, vanilla extract and apple cider vinegar.
- Scoop chocolate cake batter into prepare baking pan. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Remove cake from the oven and allow to cool in pan for at least 15 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to complete cooling.
- Once chocolate cake is cool, dust with a little powdered sugar or cacao powder (optional) and top with fresh berries.
- *I’ve made this cake many times and always like to play around with the sugar content. My preferred combination is 50% organic raw sugar and 50% Truvia (stevia blended with cane sugar to create a low calorie sweetener), but if you prefer you can use 1 cup of organic raw sugar.
- Nutrition facts are to be used as a guide only and are calculated without optional toppings.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 226
- Sugar: 16.9 g
- Sodium: 202.5 mg
- Fat: 6.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 45.7 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 1.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0.4 mg
Keywords: chocolate cake, gluten-free chocolate cake, vegan chocolate, chocolate