A delicious Thai green curry with all of the flavor, but no fish sauce! Our vegan version of an authentic curry recipe learned in the Phi Phi Islands.
Thai Green Curry
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons Thai Green Curry Paste (see recipe and notes below)
- 1 cup eggplant (Thai eggplants, cut into eights, orJapanese eggplant, cut into thick slices)
- 1 cup coconut milk (from a can)
- 1 cup clear vegetable broth*
- 2 tablespoons vegan ‘fish sauce’ or soy sauce
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 1–2 tablespoons palm sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 cup tofu, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup bamboo shoots
- 1 cup green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 cup bean shoots
- Salt, to taste
Thai Green Curry Paste
- 20 small Thai green chilies, stem removed
- 2 tablespoons galangal, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon grass (white part only), chopped
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 tablespoons Thai shallots (alternatively use green onion), peeled/trimmed
- 1/2 cup Thai sweet basil
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup jasmine rice
- Handful of Thai basil, chopped
- Cook jasmine rice according to package instructions.
- Make the Thai Green Curry Paste by placing all curry paste ingredients into a food processor and chopping until a very fine paste is formed.**
- Next make the Thai Green Curry. Heat coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of Thai Green Curry Paste (see note below about spice level), stirring constantly for 1 minute. Add eggplant and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 4 minutes.
- Pour in the coconut milk, clear vegetable broth and vegan ‘fish sauce’ or soy sauce, and add the whole kaffir lime leaves and and sugar, stir well. Increase heat and bring to the boil.
- Add tofu and bamboo shoots, stir and cook for 5 minutes. Then stir in green beans and bean shoots, cook for a further 2 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning to suit your taste.
- Divide the cooked jasmine rice between two bowls and spoon over Thai Green Curry. Sprinkle with Thai basil. Enjoy!
- **The Thai Green Curry paste recipe makes more than you need for this recipe. You will need 1 tablespoon of paste per serving. However, if you want your curry to be spicier you can increase this to 1 1/2 tablespoons per person. Freeze remaining green curry paste in desired serving sizes so the paste is ready for a quick meal when desired.
- Nutrition facts are to be used as a guide only and are calculated without optional toppings.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 642
- Sugar: 20.3 g
- Sodium: 2877.6 mg
- Fat: 39.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 58.3 g
- Fiber: 7.6 g
- Protein: 20.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: thai green curry, vegan curry, thai curry