Try our vegan spin on a classic Sweet Potato Casserole recipe, complete with marshmallows! This is the perfect sweet side to a kinder holiday feast.
- 2 lbs / 900 grams sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup almond milk (of plant milk of choice)
- 1/4 cup non-dairy butter, cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoon organic brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup mini vegan marshmallow
- 1/4 cup pecan pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Place sweet potato cubes into a medium pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook until sweet potatoes are tender. You’ll know they’re ready when you can easily slide a fork into the sweet potato.
- Drain the water and leave the sweet potatoes in the pot. Add almond milk, dairy-free butter, brown sugar and a pinch of salt. Using a potato masher or hand mixer, mash/mix until the sweet potatoes are smooth and creamy.
- Turn on broiler to heat up.
- Transfer the warm sweet potato filling to a casserole dish (we used a 9″ x 6″ / 23cms x 15cms dish), sprinkle with ground cinnamon, pecans and top with a blanket of marshmallows. Place the casserole under the broiler and cook until the marshmallows are brown on top. Be very careful here – it’s super easy to burn the marshmallows!
Serve your Sweet Potato Casserole warm alongside your favorite Thanksgiving meal… or at any time of the year!
- Make Thanksgiving preparation a little easier by preparing this side dish ahead of time, by cooking the sweet potato filling and having it in the casserole dish ready to reheat. 10 minutes or so before the main meal is to be served, reheat the sweet potato casserole in the microwave, and then top with cinnamon, pecans and marshmallows and place the casserole under the broiler until the marshmallows become golden brown and melty. Serve immediately!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
Keywords: sweet potato casserole recipe, sweet potato casserole marshmellows, sweet potato casserole vegan, vegan thanksgiving recipes