Add this Purple Sweet Potato Soup recipe to your Fall and Winter menus! It’s delicious, beautiful and packed with sweet potato’s mighty nutrition!
- 1 large onion (1lb / 450 grams), finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3–4 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2.25 lbs / 1kg purple sweet potato, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- Large handful of fresh herbs (e.g. thyme and sage), chopped
- 8 cups vegetable broth + 1/4 cup for sautéing onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dry roasted nuts and seeds (e.g. almonds, cashews, pumpkin seeds)
- Handful fresh herbs (e.g. thyme and sage), roughly chopped
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add 1/4 cup vegetable broth and onion, and sauté until the onion softens and becomes translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, celery, carrots and a pinch of salt, stir well. Cook until vegetables start to soften and brown, about 5 minutes. If needed, add a splash of broth to help prevent the vegetables from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Next add purple sweet potato, apple, fresh herbs and vegetable broth, stir well. Raise heat and bring soup to a boil. Once the soup has reached boiling point, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until vegetables are soft, around 20-30 minutes. Set soup aside to cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Optional step: While soup is cooling, dry roast nuts and seeds. Heat a skillet over medium, add nuts and seeds, and dry roast them for a few minutes until they are lightly golden on both sides. Keep a close on them as they can get roasted very quickly. Transfer dry roasted nut and seeds to a bowl and set aside.
- Once the soup has cooled slightly, using an immersion blender or counter top blender, carefully blend until the soup is smooth and creamy. If you used a counter top blender, return soup to pot. Taste the soup and adjust seasoning as needed. If necessary, reheat the soup.
- Ladle soup into bowls and, if using, top with dry roasted nuts and seeds, and fresh herbs.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: purple sweet potato recipe, purple sweet potato, sweet potato nutrition