This delicious vegan korma features purple sweet potatoes and creamy spiced gravy for a hearty, healthy plant-based curry!
Purple Sweet Potato Curry
1/2 cup raw cashew pieces
1 cup boiling water
2 lbs purple sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch (2.5cm) cubes
Cooking oil spray
1 large 12oz (340grams) onion, peeled and roughly chopped
4 garlic cloves, peeled
1 piece ginger (2 inches/5cms), peeled and sliced
1/2 cup vegan butter
1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2-1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper, adjust to taste
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 1/2 cups creamy oat milk
1 cup dairy-free drinking yogurt (unsweetened and unflavored)
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2 teaspoons garam masala
Salt, to taste
- 1 cup Lotus Foods Organic Brown Basmati Rice
- 1 3/4 cup water
- Fresh cilantro, torn or roughly chopped
- Place cashews into a bowl and cover with boiling water, set aside to soak for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 400F/205C and line a baking tray with parchment paper or silicon baking mat. Place purple sweet potato cubes on the prepared baking tray, spray with cooking oil spray and a sprinkle of salt. Bake purple sweet potatoes until tender, around 45 minutes.
- Cook Lotus Foods Organic Brown Basmati Rice according to package instructions. Keep warm.
- Place onion, garlic and ginger into the food processor container and blitz until pureed, set aside.
- Into a pot over medium heat, add vegan butter, pureed onion mixture and ground spices, cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Meanwhile, drain and rinse cashews, then place into a food processor with 1/2 cup of oat milk. Blitz until cashews are pureed.
- Into the pot, add the pureed cashew mixture, remaining oat milk, dairy-free drinking yogurt, nutritional yeast and pinch of salt, stir well to combine and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add baked purple sweet potatoes to the korma, cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Stir in garam masala, then serve.
- Divide cooked rice and purple sweet potato korma between four bowls, top with cilantro. Enjoy!
Store Purple Sweet Potato Korma with Lotus Foods Organic Brown Basmati Rice in an air-tight container in the fridge and consume within 3 days. Alternatively, store portions in the freezer.
- If you can’t find purple sweet potatoes then you can easily swap them for regular (orange) sweet potatoes, white potatoes, or even butternut squash!
- Prep Time: 25 minutes + soaking cashews
- Cook Time: 65-70 minutes
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 565
- Sugar: 14
- Sodium: 580
- Fat: 20
- Saturated Fat: 1.5
- Carbohydrates: 84
- Fiber: 11
- Protein: 15
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: vegan korma, purple sweet potatoes