This sweet, gluten-free bread recipe is a great way to eat pomegranate and pistachios! Plenty of warm spices also make it perfect for cool weather. Enjoy!
- 1 cup gluten-free baking flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 3/4 cup organic caster sugar
- 3/4 cup pistachios, chopped + extra for garnish
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped + extra for garnish
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup cooked squash or pumpkin, mashed* (cold or room temperature)
- 3/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- Arils (seeds) from 1 pomegranate, divided
- 2 flax eggs (made using 2 tablespoons of ground flax seeds and six tablespoons of water)
- 1/2 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon beet powder
- Preheat the oven to 350F/175C and line a 9″ x 5″ / 23cm x 13cm loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Prepare flax eggs by mixing together ground flax seeds with six tablespoons of water. Allow to thicken for five minutes.
- Add gluten-free flour, almond meal, oats, nuts, baking powder and spices to a large bowl, stir to combine.
- Place squash/pumpkin, oil, almond milk, 3/4 of the pomegranate seeds and flax eggs into a medium size bowl, mix well. Add to the flour mixture and stir to combine. Pour batter into prepared loaf tin.
- Bake for 1 1/4 hours or until a skewer inserted into the bread comes out clean. Allow to cool in the loaf pan for 30 minutes, then carefully turn out onto a cooling rack.
- To make the icing, sift powdered sugar and beet powder into a small bowl, add almond milk and whisk until well combined. Once the bread is cool, drizzle with icing and top with pomegranate seeds, pistachios and walnuts.
- Cut into bread into 10 slices and enjoy! Store slices in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- To ensure you can prepare this recipe in 15 minutes, cook the squash/pumpkin a day or two before and store in the fridge until ready to use. The time required to cook the squash/pumpkin in not included in the preparation time listed above.
- *The squash that works best for this recipe is: acorn, butternut or spaghetti squash and the best pumpkin to use for this recipe is kabocha.
- Recipe and styling inspired by Pumpkin & Pomegranate Cake, Coles Australia.
- Nutritional information is to be used as a guide only as calories and nutrition vary between products and brands worldwide.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes*
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 354
- Sugar: 18.3 g
- Sodium: 105.3 mg
- Fat: 22.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 37.2 g
- Fiber: 2.8 g
- Protein: 4.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: pomegranate and pistachio bread, pumpkin pie spice, cardamom, gluten free