- 2 red pears
- 6 tablespoons dairy-free butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 stick (4 oz / 113 grams) dairy-free butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup oat milk
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of salt
- Pear Topping:
- Prepare pears by cutting in half, removing seeds and stem, then thinly slice lengthways.
- Mix together dairy free butter and brown sugar, then spread over the bottom of a 9-inch round baking pan.
- Top with sliced pears, overlapping to create a circular pattern.
- Preheat oven to 350F (176C).
- Prepare cake batter:
- Into a medium mixing bowl add dairy free butter and cane sugar, mix to combine. Then add vanilla extract and plant milk, stir to combine.
- Into a second medium medium bowl, sift all-purpose flour, baking powder and baking soda, then add cane sugar, ground spices and salt. Stir to combine.
- Pour wet ingredients into bowl of dry ingredients, then stir to combine.
- Pour batter into the baking pan on top of the brown butter and pear.
- Bake cake: Place pear cake into the oven (see note) and bake for 45 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the cake comes out clean. Set aside to cool.
- Flip your pear cake: Place a serving plate over the top of the baking pan. Then holding both together tightly, turn upside down placing the plate on the counter. Then carefully remove the baking pan to reveal the beautiful spiced pear cake.
- Serve: Serve warm or at room temperature. Adding a little scoop of dairy-free vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
- The brown butter caramel may bubble over while baking, so I recommend placing the baking pan on top- of a large baking tray to capture any overflowing caramel.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes