A vegan spin on the classic bolognese pasta sauce recipe, made using lentils and walnuts. This healthy pasta recipe is easy to make, delicious and filling!
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts, toasted and finely crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium brown or yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 large can diced tomatoes (28 ounces / 794 grams)
- 1 can lentils (15 ounces / 425 grams), drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup water or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon balsamic glaze
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 ounces / 340 grams of Spaghetti (or pasta of choice)
To serve (optional)
- Toast walnuts in a large pot over low heat, stirring regularly until walnuts become fragrant and slightly little darker (around 5 minutes). Transfer toasted walnuts to a small bowl and allow them to cool. Once cooled, crush toasted walnuts and set aside.
- Add olive oil to a large pot, heat to medium, and add finely diced onion, carrot and celery. Once onion turns golden brown, add minced garlic, dried basil, and crushed red pepper. Stir well and cook vegetables further for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour tomatoes, lentils, water, sun-dried tomatoes, tomato paste, balsamic glaze, crushed walnuts and a pinch of salt into the pot, stir well to combine with onion mixture. Lower heat and allow mixture to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, stir occasionally.
- While the lentil bolognese mixture is simmering, start preparing the pasta. Fill a large pot with water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil. Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Back to the lentil bolognese; before serving, taste adjust seasoning to suit your taste. Then scoop the lentil bolognese into pot of cooked pasta. Stir to combine sauce and pasta. Divide between 6 bowls and sprinkle with a little parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
- Nutritional information is to be used as a guide only as calories and nutrition vary between products and brands worldwide.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 447
- Sugar: 10.3 g
- Sodium: 767.2 mg
- Fat: 12.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 68.8 g
- Fiber: 9.7 g
- Protein: 17.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: lentil bolognese, lentil bolognese easy, lentil bolognese vegan