We love avocado! And if you are reading this, you probably do too! As an avocado lover, you just have to know how to make great guacamole. Also, when you get that guac craving, you want to deal with it fast. Guacamole is just that good. Luckily, our favorite guacamole recipe relies on simple ingredients (avo, limes, salt, and onion) and is super easy to make. As soon as you taste our recipe you’ll realize it’s all you avo wanted! ?
Let’s Get Avo-Control ?!
For the best guacamole, you are going to want great avocados. Of course, it can be difficult to choose one from a great big pile at the market, but we have some tips.
- If you’re making this simple guacamole today, look for an avocado with very dark green skin. When you’re keeping the avos for a couple of days, grab one that’s a little lighter in color.
- To test for ripeness, pick the avocado up and give it a squeeze. It shouldn’t be rock hard or mushy – instead, look for one with a little give. Again, if you’re not using it for a couple of days, a harder avocado is OK.
- Peel back the little stem on top of the avocado. If it’s green, it should have smooth and creamy flesh. In contrast, brown means this avo won’t make the best guacamole.
- If you can’t find the right avocado, you will have to wait to make your guac ?. Always go for firm avos over mushy ones. You can bring them home and let them ripen in a paper bag on the kitchen counter. This will take a couple of days – but you can speed up the process by throwing in a banana (yes, seriously!).
This Guacamole Recipe is so Easy!
We said that the best guacamole recipes are simple – and we meant it! All you need to do is chop up some red onion (not too coarsely), squeeze a bit of lime juice, and have your salt nearby. Then, mash the avocado with a fork until it’s as smooth or chunky as you like.
Next, build this simple guacamole by adding salt until the avocado flavor really pops. Then, fold in the onion – which should be coarse but not too chunky. Finally, mix in the lime juice a bit at a time – you want the acid in the lime to balance the rich avocado, but don’t add so much that it overwhelms everything else.
It’s Time for some Avo-cardio!
Yes! It’s work out time! Work out time for your tastebuds, that is. Like all of the best recipes, this guacamole balances many flavors and sensations (salty vs. sour, acids vs. fats, etc). This results in flavor way more interesting than the short ingredient list suggests. We’re sure you already know how to eat guac, but just to make sure:
- You can scoop it up with tortilla chips …
- Or dip into it with veggie sticks …
- It tastes great heaped onto a taco, burrito or nachos …
- And we love pairing it with almost any Mexican or Southwestern US dish you can think of!
And may we make a suggestion? You now have some amazing guacamole, so why not pair it with our scrumptious Homemade Salsa?
Did you try this recipe? Let us know what you think with a comment and rating! Every bit of feedback helps make the blog even better!Print
This post contains affiliate links, which means I’ll make a small commission if you purchase using these links. The price you pay as a consumer does not change.