An easy recipe for making Hasselback potatoes. Halfway between a crispy roast and creamy baked potato, this recipe makes a tasty side dish or main meal.
- 3lbs / 1.35grams (around 8 medium russet potatoes), well washed
- 1 head of garlic* (leave the peel on to help prevent burning)
- Handful of fresh rosemary (or herbs of choice), washed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C and have a large baking dish nearby.
- Slice potatoes thinly, using chopsticks or wooden spoon (see notes and photo above), being careful not to cut all the way through.
- Place hassleback potatoes, garlic cloves, rosemary/herbs, salt and pepper into a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and toss well to ensure potatoes are well coated.
- Transfer potatoes to a large baking dish (or baking tray lined with parchment paper or silicon baking mat).
- Bake potatoes for an hour until tender (skewer inserted into the potatoes goes in super easy), and crispy-roasty edges start to form.
- *Leave the peel on the garlic to help prevent burning during baking. The garlic will be soft and come out of the peel easily once cooked.
- Use as many potatoes as you like. If you use more or less, just adjust the recipe to suit your needs. The recipe is very forgiving so there’s no need to worry about altering the number of potatoes.
- We love fresh herbs with hassleback potatoes and love to use rosemary, chives, parsley, and green onion are also great ideas (herbs can also be added after roasting if you want a fresher flavor).
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 172
- Sugar: 2.2 g
- Sodium: 202.8 mg
- Fat: 4.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.4 g
- Fiber: 4.4 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 1.6 mg
Keywords: hassleback potatoes, roast potato recipe, baked potato recipe, roast potato rosemary, vegan recipes