This harvest salad recipe, made with butternut squash, beets & kale, pecans & vegan feta cheese, is perfect for a fall lunch or dinner.
- 1 butternut squash (2.5lb / 1.1kg) , cut into 3″ x 1″ inch long lengths
- 1 medium red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 medium beets (1lb / 450g), trimmed
- 2 cups kale, trimmed & chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh chives, cut into lengths
- 3.5 oz (100g) vegan feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 red apple, sliced
- 1/2 cup pecans, lightly toasted
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
Red Wine Vinegar Dressing
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 4 roasted garlic cloves, minced (roasted with salad vegetables)
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F (204C) and line a baking tray with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Prepare the butternut squash, red onion & garlic:
- Place cut butternut squash into a medium size bowl, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss to coat, then spread out on 3/4 of the baking tray.
- Repeat the process with the onion, 1 tablespoon olive oil and salt and pepper, then place on the remaining 1/4 of the baking tray.
- Wrap the garlic cloves in aluminum foil and place on the baking tray.
- Place vegetable into the oven and roast until tender, around 45 minutes. Half way flip the butternut squash, and remove the onion and garlic. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare the beets by steaming them on the stovetop or in the Instant Pot.
- Stovetop method: Into a medium size pot add your steamer basket and water (just enough that it doesn’t touch the bottom of the steamer basket). Place beets into the steamer basket, cover and bring the water to a boil. Once boiling reduce to a simmer and cook until tender (you may need to top off the water during steaming), around 30minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Instant Pot: Add the steamer basket to your Instant Pot and water (just enough that it doesn’t touch the bottom of the steamer basket). Place beets into the steamer basket and secure the lid. Press ‘Pressure Cook’, high and select 25 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Peel & slice the beets: Remove the peel from the beets by gently rubbing them and peeling away the skin. Then slice into half moons.
- Make the dressing by mixing ingredients together in a small bowl or salad dressing shaker.
- Make the Harvest Salad: Into a salad bowl add kale and red wine vinegar dressing, then stir to coat the kale. Top with roasted butternut squash and red onion, steamed beets, fresh parsley and chives, toss to combine. Garnish with crumbled vegan cheese, apple slices, dried cranberries and pecans.
Keywords: harvest salad recipe