If you didn’t think carrot cake could get any better, then behold – a Carrot Cake Muffin recipe! These vegan muffins are seriously delicious and gluten-free, using quick oats and gluten-free flour. We love to sit down and enjoy these muffins with tea or coffee. Or, since these carrot cakes are hand-held, why not eat them on the go?
Plus, how often do you get to eat cake with your hands?
Who was the visionary that first hid carrots in a cake recipe (or put them in muffins, for that matter)? Carrots are a wonderful source of beta-carotene, fiber, vitamin K, and potassium. In addition, they can also contribute to eye health (although they won’t quite make you “see in the dark” the way the stories say).
Finally, we added oats to the carrot cake batter to complement the gluten-free flour. Oats contribute tons of fiber and provide a long-lasting energy supply.
Raisin the Bar!
I know some carrot cake recipes don’t use raisins, but we love them in a muffin because they add texture and sweetness. Just pulse them in a food processor a few times to mince. Alternatively, if you don’t have a food processor, mince them by hand with a knife.
Carrots, squash, and raisins, all in a vegan cake? Who knew something so tasty could “sneak” so many fruits and veggies into your diet?
And last but not least, we couldn’t call these “carrot cake” muffins without (vegan) cream cheese frosting, right? Make sure you take note of the frosting recipe because you’ll want to slather it on everything! We also candied some carrots to add on top. Cooked in maple syrup and vegan butter, the shaved carrot pieces add a unique sweetness and pop of color!
So, there you have it, beautiful carrot cake muffins that taste just as good as they look – and are both vegan and gluten-free! We hope you try them out.
Did you try this recipe? Let us know what you think with a comment and rating! Every bit of feedback helps make the blog even better!
If you’d like to make some more gluten-free sweet treats, we suggest our Easy Banana Bread, Vegan Chocolate Cake, and Fudgy Black Bean Brownies.Print
Carrot Cake Muffins with Creamy Frosting
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins 1x
Gluten-free carrot cake muffins topped with a delicious cream cheese frosting and maple candied carrots.
Carrot Cake Muffins
- 2 flax eggs
- 1/2 cup oat milk
- 1/3 cup oil (I used canola oil)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 1/2 cup raisins, minced
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup grated carrot (around 2 carrots)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz / 227 grams vegan cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 medium carrots, peeled
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/3 cup walnut pieces, toasted
- Preheat oven to 375F / 190C and fill a 12-well muffin pan with paper liners (if not using liners, grease the muffin wells with a little spray oil).
- In a medium bowl or jug, add the flaxseed and water and stir till combined. Then add oil, milk and vanilla extract. Stir till combined and not lumps. Add grated carrot and stir through then put aside.
- In a large bowl add flour, sugar, walnuts, sultanas, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt and stir till well combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the large bowl of dry ingredients and stir till combined.
- Evenly fill the lined muffin wells with muffin batter using a ¼ cup measuring device.
- Place the muffin pan into the oven and bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the muffins comes out clean. Allow to cool in the muffin pan.
- Prepare the vegan cream cheese frosting while the carrot cake muffins are baking. Add the frosting ingredients into a medium size mixing bowl. Beat frosting ingredients until smooth and creamy using an electric mixer. Store in the fridge until the muffins are ready to frost.
- Once the carrot cake muffins are cool, frost with vegan cream cheese frosting. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
Keywords: carrot cake muffins, muffin recipe, vegan muffin, gluten free muffin, muffin recipe
This post contains affiliate links, which means I’ll make a small commission if you purchase using these links. The price you pay as a consumer does not change.
Love these muffins! They turned out so delicious and I love that they have lots of healthy ingredients.
Thank you so much!-we’re so happy to hear that you enjoyed the recipe! They are perfect for morning tea with a coffee on the patio!!