Creamy, carby, and 100% plant-based, this broccoli cheese casserole with pasta recipe is easy to make when you need a little comfort food in your life.
Pasta and cheese is an iconic duo that always hits the spot when I’m craving something comforting. I swear they have magical healing powers. This incredible broccoli and cheese pasta casserole is not only super easy to throw together, but has the added advantage of being freezer-friendly. That means that you can save a portion or two for a rainy day – if you can resist eating it all in one go that is!
Ingredients for Broccoli Cheese Casserole
The key to super-saucy pasta casserole is to opt for a pasta shape that can trap lots of sauce – ie tube-shaped pasta. Rigatoni, penne, ziti, or macaroni are all excellent options.
If you want your broccoli to hold its shape when cooked then it’s best to opt for fresh rather than frozen. That being said, you won’t notice much difference in how your broccoli cheese casserole tastes if you do end up using frozen.
Ingredients for Vegan Cheese Sauce
The cheese sauce for our casserole uses a simple white sauce base, combined with vegan cheese, onion, and garlic powder.
- Vegan butter
- All-purpose flour
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Unsweetened plant-milk (unsweetened almond or oat milk works well)
- Vegan cheese shreds
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350F/175C and grease a 9 x13 inch baking tin.
How to Make this Broccoli Cheese Casserole Recipe (Easy!)
Cook the pasta and broccoli
- Begin by preheating the over to 350F/175C, and grease a 9 x13 inch baking tin.
- Next, cook the pasta by bringing a large pot of water to a boil, with a pinch of salt for flavor. Cook pasta according to the package instructions.
- Two minutes before the pasta is finished cooking, add the broccoli pieces to the pot.
- Once the broccoli and pasta are cooked, drain the water from the pot and then return them to the pot.
Make the cheese sauce
- To make the cheese sauce for your broccoli cheese casserole, begin by melting the vegan butter in a medium-sized pot, over low heat.
- Add flour, onion powder, and garlic powder, plus a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Stir until everything is combined.
- Grab your whisk and beat the mixture for 2-3 minutes, continuing to cook over low heat.
- Pour ½ cup of plant milk into the mixture and continue to whisk until smooth.
- Add the rest of the plat milk ½ cup at a time, whisking until the sauce starts to boil.
- Once bubbling, add the vegan cheese to the sauce, whisking until melted.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
Bake the Casserole
- Pour the cheese sauce into the pot of cooked pasta and broccoli and stir to combine.
- Pour the broccoli cheese casserole into an oven-safe dish and bake for 25-30 minutes. Your casserole should be golden brown and crispy on top.
- Serve while warm. Enjoy!
Broccoli is my go-to for this recipe, but cauliflower would work great too. Peas are also an excellent option if you’re looking to use up some frozen vegetables!
How to Serve
This recipe makes four generous-sized portions – perfect for a family lunch or dinner. Eat as it is, or serve alongside steamed vegetables or a green salad. You could also make this broccoli cheese casserole as a hearty side dish during the holidays!
How to Store Broccoli Cheese Casserole
Store in an airtight container in the fridge, or split into portions and freeze.
To defrost, place the frozen pasta in the fridge overnight, then reheat in the microwave for 2-3 minutes. Alternatively, you can transfer your casserole into an oven-safe dish, cover with foil, and bake it in the oven at 350F/175C.Print
This post contains affiliate links, which means I’ll make a small commission if you purchase using these links. The price you pay as a consumer does not change.