Blueberry Scones with Lemon & Lavender | This easy scone recipe is vegan, and is the perfect Spring or Summer sweet treat.
- 2 flax eggs (made using 2 tablespoons of ground flax seeds mixed with six tablespoons of water)
- 1 3/4 cup gluten-free baking flour and more for dusting
- 1/2 cup organic raw sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon culinary lavender (if you’re not a fan of lavender, feel free to leave out!)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 stick (4oz / 113 grams) cold vegan butter, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon culinary lavender
- Preheat the oven to 400F/205C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Prepare flax eggs by mixing together ground chia seeds with 6 tablespoons of water. Allow to thicken for five minutes.
- Place flour, sugar, baking powder, culinary lavender and salt into a large bowl, stir to combine.
- Add cold vegan butter and work into the flour mixture using your fingers until the mixture looks like bread crumbs. Add flax eggs, vanilla extract, lemon zest and lemon juice, stir to combine.
- Fold in lavender and blueberries then turn dough out onto a flour dusted surface. Bring dough together into a circle shape, about 1 inch / 2.5cms thick (if the dough is sticky, dust with a little gluten free flour). Cut the dough circle into eight wedges (like cutting a pizza) and transfer wedges to prepared baking tray.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted into the scone comes out clean. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- While the scones are baking, prepare the lemon icing. Sift powdered sugar into a small bowl, add lemon juice and whisk until well combined. Once scones are baked and have cooled for around 20 minutes, drizzle lemon icing over warm scones and if desired, sprinkle with a little extra culinary lavender.
- Nutritional information is to be used as a guide only as calories and nutrition vary between products and brands worldwide.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 to 20 minutes
Keywords: blueberry scones, blueberry lemon scones, gluten-free scones, vegan scones