This ‘baked’ apple in the microwave recipe comes together in just five minutes and makes a perfect late-night snack or brunch dish. Smothered in an easy caramel sauce and bursting with tangy ‘baked’ apple slices, nobody will believe you cooked this tasty treat in the microwave!
This post will show you how to microwave ‘baked’ apple, using fresh apple slices and a simple microwave caramel. This recipe serves one, so it’s a great antidote for those late-night munchies!
Ingredients for ‘Baked’ Apple Slices in the Microwave
Any type of apple will work in this recipe, although crisp varieties like Braeburns and Honeycrisp are some of the most popular.
Salted peanut butter is the secret to making our perfect microwave salted caramel sauce! If you don’t have salted peanut butter then just add a pinch of salt before mixing with your other ingredients.
Apples and maple syrup just work together, and this delicious sweetener will form the base of our microwave caramel sauce.
The ultimate dessert seasoning, vanilla extract is going to help enhance all the other yummy flavors in our ‘baked’ microwave apple.
How to Microwave ‘Bake’ an Apple
Cut the apple
- Core your apple and then place it between two wooden spoons or chopsticks. These will ensure you don’t cut too deep into your apple.
- Hold your apple in place and cut from the top-down, until the knife reaches your wooden spoons or chopsticks. This should take you roughly 75% through the apple.
- Make a second cut using the same method, so you have four equally sized sections.
- Repeat this until you have eight slices of apple roughly the same size.
Cook the apple
- Place your cut apple into a microwave-safe breakfast bowl along with one tablespoon of water.
- Cover and place in the microwave.
- ‘Bake’ your apple in the microwave until tender for four minutes (my microwave is 1000 watts). Cook for an extra 30 seconds if needed.
Make the caramel sauce
- Combine peanut butter, maple syrup, water, and vanilla extract in a small bowl or mug.
- Place in the microwave for 20 seconds, or serve cold.
How to Serve
Serve your ‘baked’ microwave apple slices hot and drizzled with caramel sauce. For an extra treat, add a scoop (or two) of dairy-free whipped cream or vanilla ice cream (my favorite!).
If you like, try substituting peanut butter for almond butter when you make your caramel sauce. You could also use agave in place of maple syrup.
Can I Make Microwave ‘Baked’ Apples Ahead of Time?
This recipe is best enjoyed hot from the microwave, but if that’s not an option then you can make it ahead and reheat. Your caramel sauce will keep for a while in the fridge if you don’t use it all.Print
‘Baked’ Apple In The Microwave with Caramel Sauce
- Total Time: 9 minutes
- Yield: 1 serving 1x
This easy ‘baked’ apple in the microwave, with caramel sauce, takes less than 10 minutes and is the perfect quick dessert!
- 1 apple, washed and cored*
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon salted peanut butter**
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dairy-free vanilla ice-cream
- Dairy-free whipped cream
- Cut the apple: Place cored apple on chopping board, then place a wooden spoon or chopstick on either side of the apple. While holding the apple in place, cut from the top down until the knife hits the wooden spoons (make sure not to cut more than 75% of the way through the apple). Make a second cut in the same way, except 90 degrees to the first one. Your apple should now be in quarters. Repeat until your have eight cuts in the apple.
- Cook the apple: Place the cut apple and water into a breakfast bowl. Cover and place in the microwave. Cook in the microwave for 4 minutes until tender.
- Make the caramel sauce: Add peanut butter, maple syrup, water and vanilla extract to a small bowl or mug. Stir well to combine ingredients. If desired heat caramel sauce in the microwave for 20 seconds.
- Serve: Remove ‘baked’ apple from the microwave, top with dairy-free vanilla ice-cream or whipped cream, and then drizzle with caramel sauce. Enjoy!
- *Not a fan of apple peel? No worries! Peel the apple before cutting in wedges and cooking, but the apple will lose some of its shape.
- **Add a pinch of salt of you’re not using salted peanut butter.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 minutes
Keywords: baked apple in microwave, baked apple in microwave recipe
This post contains affiliate links, which means I’ll make a small commission if you purchase using these links. The price you pay as a consumer does not change.